If you want to support this project, click the PayPal Donation Button

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

A Hirschvogel castle & the letter D, another January excerpt...

It's a dark, snowy day. Manhattan looks like it's drawn in white conte on black paper as I come in on the B train. The first thing I find is a better castle:

I can picture my aye-aye burrowing up through the earth on the lower left, followed by a bathing beauty, maybe...

When I begin to explore the files in the letter D, I'm reminded that what I truly love is the breadth and depth of the collection.(Bear in mind that I'm looking through hundreds of images each day that I work on this, and only selecting a few I like for the blog.) You can really sense the range of images and the nature of this free-floating visual history by looking at a few examples from any one category. In Dirigibles, for example, (the kind of label I can hardly resist) you get everything from 19th century engravings of the cockpit of a balloon, an atmospheric photo of a zepppelin in a hangar, to a 1980s National Geographic-style photo or a great Japanese  textile design of a German blimp:










In the category of Deserts, you can see a similar spread from recent photos of the Sahara to a 1937 watercolor illustration of the American Southwest (an advertisement for life insurance):





I want to start creating two-dimensional collage worlds for my characters to travel through using elements/images from files associated with each letter.

The way to create worlds for the film is beginning to coalesce in my head. How about this rough digital sketch for a world created from files in the letter "D"? (You can see all of the component parts of this above.)


Perhaps I should add images from "Dance", "Dragons," or even "Death - Allegorical."


No comments:

Post a Comment